Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Negative App review

I while ago, I wished for reviews for my apps, and now one of my playbook apps got its first review, and it is incredibly negative. The app, ExerTrak, is for logging workout exercises, and the customer's complaint is that the app does not allow for new types of exercises to be added. But they are mistaken. Most of my effort went into making the app flexible, and adding your own exercises is central to that goal. I find it very frustrating that the review would have you believe the core functionality is missing.

So, I will take this more of criticism of my UI design, as the customer clearly missed this functionality altogether. It's true that UI design is not something I excel at, so I'm not altogether surprised that the usability needs to improve. I'd really like to reach out to the customer to explain how to use the app, but I guess that is not how app marketplaces work. Instead, I will try to get the review retracted, and see if I can update the app in a way that makes the UI easier to understand, and perhaps add more documentation.

Ironically, this mostly negative review did compliment the app's "nice interface", though I am quite sure it is shortcomings in the interface that are truly to blame here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I got the review removed, without any trouble. In fact, I'm a little disappointed in how easy it was. I was expecting to at least have to explain my rational on why the review was wrong, but I was never contacted. I just clicked the Deny button, and the next day the review was gone. I guess I'll choose to believe that someone at RIM tested my app and found the functionality the review claimed was missing so easily they didn't need my input.